Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Should I email an employer I contacted about a job in the Engineering field?

Here is what happened. I wanted to send my resume to a company I looked up. They didn't have their HR email on their website so I called them to get an email to forward my resume. Fortunately at that time the HR lady went to lunch and the director or "co-founder" picked up the phone and I told him that I didn't find the email etc, online and need an email I can forward my resume to. He decided to ask me what I do and my experience and courses so I told him everything and he told me that the spot that was open has been filled but he is looking to hire someone to assist his engineering department. He said I fit the description of what he is looking for. Then he asked me to forward my resume directly to him and said he will see. He seemed very impressed and interested. That was 1 week ago. Would it be okay to inquire about it? Should I email and ask him what he thinks? If not, when should I email him since its been a week? What should I write in the email? Its an engineering company

Should I email an employer I contacted about a job in the Engineering field?
The reason why it is taking so long to get back with you may be their HR procedures - for example, the position which the co-founder suggested you may not have been formally approved within the company. Or his project plan (including hiring one person) has not been formally finalized wihtin the comapny, etc.





Thus the delay in reply probably have nothing to do with your qualification for the position, so pls don't get depressed at this point. (or the gentleman has been on vacation or on biz trip all week, or some mix-up happened, and he did not receive your resume... who knows?)





Since it is no use speculating about what's really going on, if you want to get more information, you could send a "reminder" e-mail.





You should not sound desperate in the mail (e.g. don't try to sound as if it is the only job you are applying for, even if it's true!), and you do not need to explain anything in detail.





I would suggest to write sometihng like;





Dear Mr. XXX,





Thank you very much for ... (e.g. kindly explaining me about the XXX position last week on the phone in your busy schedule).





I hope you received my resume fine that I forwarded on %26lt;date%26gt;. Should you have any questions on my resume, or needed any additional documents, please feel free to contact me, as I will be more than happy to clarify any questions you may have.





Thank you very much again, and looking forward to hearing from you.





Best Regards,





%26lt;Your Name%26gt;


%26lt;Your Contact Info: e-mail, phone, address, etc)


No comments:

Post a Comment