Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yahoo send password to my alternate email address?

I think someone hacked into my email account.





My answer to my security question is now invalid ~ I am assuming they changed the answer? Can they do that and wouldn't I have received an email stating this in my alternate email?!?





I checked my alternate email account (that I used when I registered with yahoo) and there was an email stating that my password had been changed. It did NOT state what it had been changed to! HELP!





Can yahoo email me the password to my (verified) alternate account so I can reaccess my main email account?





AND / OR





Can yahoo email my (now changed ~ not by me) answer to my security question - again by sending it to the alternate email address on file that I registered with so I can get back into my main email account?





I can still get into my alternate email account!!

Yahoo send password to my alternate email address?
yes you can change your security Q yahoo proveds a link to do that BUT you must know your security Q to be able to change it ...





a hacker/cracker does not change the Q as they do not know the original Q ... they change the ZIP


If the thief has changed your ZIP .. once the thief changes the ZIP .. the recovery process anywhere though yahoo is useless. It is this new ZIP that Yahoo will recognise in recovery, not the original one you used when making the account.





If someone has changed your secret ... it is someone who knows you and your info ..... someone you gave it to or someone close to you.





Yahoo will NOT "state" and password in a pw notification change through email, or any personal info change.





Your alternate email is not the main player in this problem .... YOUR ORIGINAL INFO used when making the account.





how people steal accounts


YES SOMEBODY CAN STEAL YOUR PASSWORD, AND IT IS VERY EASY TO DO IF YOU HAVE NOT SECURED YOUR ACCOUNT.


IF YOU ARE NET SAVY, AND SECURE YOUR ACCOUNT NO ONE CAN STEAL YOUR PASSWORD, IT IS ALL UP TO YOU.


there are 4 ways to steal a password





1 Phishing - Make a false sign in page and send it to people through messenger. With a little message as if you know the person, then prompting them to SIGN IN and view some pics to remind them. Amazing the amout of people who fall for this.DO NOT SIGN INTO ANY LINK THAT IS SENT TO YOU ON MESSENGER, EVEN IF IT IS A YAHOO SIGN IN PAGE, ALWAYS ENTER YAHOO THROUGH THE YAHOO HOME PAGE. read%26gt; http://security.yahoo.com/article.html?a...





2. Plant a key logger in a file and send through email or messenger, The person downloads the key logger which copies all script typed and sends it to and email address, or through messenger to the thief. DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYFILES FROM ANYONE YOU DO NOT KNOW.





3. Cracking . Programmes made to load thousands of Yahoo IDS, and a list of passwords are run through that list at a very fast speed. Amazing the amount of IDs that have easy passwords and easily cracked. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD PASSWORD SOMETHING WITH LETTERS AND NUMBERS IN IT. THE YAHOO GENERATED PASSWORDS ARE THE HARDEST TO CRACK.





4. Social Engineering The thief gets to know the person and encourages them to give their password and all their personal info, the thief uses this info to recover the account. If you have given your info to someone, go to you account and change the ZIP, changing the zip, secures your account like changing you secret ... IMPORTANT%26gt; it is this new ZIP yahoo will recognise in recovery not the old one





DO NOT SIGN INTO ANY LINK SENT TO YOU ON MESSENGER, ALWAYS USE THE YAHOO HOME PAGE.


So many people do not realise you do not need to sign into geocities and otehr sites to view pics.


Make sure you have a good password, something with letters and numbers in it. The yahoo generated passwords are the hardest to crack.


Do not give your personal info out online e.g birthdate, zip code, etc


SECURE YOUR ACCOUNT
Reply:Ok I know I can answer the 1st part of this question. Not sure about the rest. I know for a fact that there is no possible way to change the answer to your question. Perhaps you are typing it in wrong. Remember that when you type it in the 1st time, it takes things literally. By that I mean if the answer to a question like "What is your mom's name?" and you answered HoPE.. you have to type it in as HoPE.. you can't type it in as hope or HOPE because it is case sensitive. Its also the same with spaces and different kinds of punctuation. They want to make sure that no one gets in. So if you make a new account, then make sure to make it a simple answer that you remember but not something so obvious that someone else can guess. I hope I was some help to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment